• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 2-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 3–4 cups fresh baby spinach
• 1 cup jasmine rice
• 6–8 cups chicken broth
• Juice of 4 limes (about 1/4 cup, plus more to taste)
• Splash of soy sauce or fish sauce (optional)
• Fresh herbs for topping (mint, basil, cilantro)
• Peanuts or cashews for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium
heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and shallots. Sauté
for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon
salt and turmeric. Cook, undisturbed, for a few
minutes. (Add 1/4 cup water to the pan to create
a little steam bath if it’s getting too browned
on the bottom.) Flip and repeat until cooked
through. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add spinach and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Remove
spinach and set aside.
- Add rice to the pan. Sauté for 1-2 minutes so it
picks up all the good pan flavors. Add 6 cups
broth and bring to a simmer.
- While the rice is cooking, shred the chicken.
- When the rice is soft, add chicken and spinach
back to the pan. Season with lime juice, soy
sauce / fish sauce, and fresh herbs. Add extra
broth as needed